It's Here in Winston-Salem
Winston-Salem is a progressive city looking towards the future, and people are excited about being part of its transformation. Winston-Salem is building on its strengths to create the perfect environment to live, work, shop, and play. Winston-Salem stands at the top of the list as an attractive city with amenities of the highest caliber, desired by those who have traveled far and wide. Those who have lived here know that Winston-Salem is, for its size, a top-tier city with all the amenities and qualities of big city living and none of the drawbacks.
As an anchor for Northwest North Carolina, Winston-Salem is a magnet for thousands who commute from surrounding counties to work every day. Once a thriving manufacturing town, Winston-Salem has transformed itself into a community of arts, culture, and innovation. The city has a knowledge-based economy that takes its intellectual capital its research at universities, by entrepreneurs, and in private companies and transforms it into companies and jobs, creating a high-tech business base in bio-medicine, life sciences, nanotechnology, design, and advanced manufacturing.
- Liveability ranked Winston-Salem as #2 on its Top 10 List of Best Downtowns.
- Winston-Salem ranks seventh on BusinessWeek.com’s list of the 20 best U.S. metropolitan areas to start over, based on “where companies are hiring and the quality of life is high.”
- Winston-Salem was recently ranked as #46 on BusinessWeek.com's list of America's 50 Best Cities.
- Forbes magazine evaluated Winston-Salem as the 18th best place in the United States for business and careers in 2009.
- Forbes magazine also recently rated Winston-Salem as having one of the top best 20 downtowns in the nation.
Winston-Salem is home of the Forsyth County Schools District. Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools formed in 1963 with the merger of the Winston-Salem and Forsyth County school systems. It is the fifth-largest system in North Carolina and the 83rd largest in the nation.
Temperature & Weather:
Winston-Salem enjoys four distinct, yet mild seasons.
Average Seasonal Temperatures
Average seasonal rainfall is: winter 10.9 inches, spring 11.7 inches, summer 11.9 inches and fall 11 inches.